Bikini was just the beginning, bombs still threaten the islanders

 I was recently in the Marshall Islands, which lie in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, north of Australia and south of Hawaii. Whenever I tell people where I have been, they ask, ‘Where is that?’

When I mention Bikini, their reference is the swimsuit. Few seem aware that the bikini was named after the nuclear explosions that destroyed life on Bikini atoll; its Paris designer hoped his ‘unique creation’ would ‘cause an explosion right round the world’. Sixty-seven nuclear bombs – each of them massive – were exploded in the Marshall Islands between 1946 and 1958: the equivalent of more than one Hiroshima every day for 12 years. - John Pilger

https://newint.org/features/2016/12/01/bikini-was-just-the-beginning

https://vimeo.com/277068625


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened before Kodak's moment

Gray Whales Were Thought to Be Extinct in the Atlantic. So How Did Wally End Up Off the Riviera?